New Year Update from the BTCC Committee

Happy New Year to all our members and supporters!

It’s been a chilly couple of weeks, but work hasn’t stopped at the club. The ground crew are still working every Wednesday morning and we had our first committee meeting since the AGM on 10thJanuary – combining new and existing committee members in a single team – all of us sitting in the pavilion with our coats on! We shared progress, discussed plans and have the following headlines to share with you:

  • Club will open for the season on Friday 12th April with first Junior training night (6pm – bar and kitchen open as usual), followed by a Quiz (thanks Bob!) to kick the season off.
  • Junior Pre-Season Coaching will start on 17th Feb at the Ashmoor Sports Centre, for 6 consecutive Saturday mornings. Just a few places left for the 11.30 – 12.30 slots. Please contact George Pitman.
  • New club-wide coloured playing kit being designed so all teams will look consistent- kindly sponsored by R Andrews & Son, Bridge Civil Engineering Ltd, THB Accountants and Homefire. The only exception is T20 kit which has a unique design and is being sponsored by J A Electrical. Saturday teams will still play in whites – sponsored by main club sponsor, Sibelco. All kit can be ordered (when available) on our VX3 shop. We will also have club stock for any player to borrow. There will be a second-hand kit “shop”organised at the start of the season aimed at reducing the start-up costs of playing cricket (please put all that too-small kit to one side now to bring along at the start of the season 🏏).
  • Calendar of social events for 2024 will be published soon – to include quiz nights, bingo, wine & wickets, softball tournaments, live music and much more. Our 2024 Senior Awards Evening is already booked at Dainton Park Golf Club on Saturday 21st September.
  • Net refurbishments at the back of the pavilion will start this month – many thanks to the Bovey Tracey Almshouse Trust, who have generously provided us with a grant. Committee decided last year it was preferable to have two high-quality nets that can be netted off to be used while matches are being played, rather than the three tired nets we already have which cannot be used during matches. We are looking at additional ways to expand our netting capacity further.
  • In-house training for all volunteers from February to the start of the season to ensure we are ready for the season (details below): Pathway coaching – for parents/ anyone who wants to help coach a junior side; separate courses in scoring and umpiring (for junior or adult matches); and a briefing session for bar volunteers (bar rota and new terminal planned).
  • Briefing sessions for all Junior Managers in February to ensure all necessary volunteers are DBS checked, understand First Aid procedures and have all the information they need to run their teams.
  • The ground crew have been doing end-of-season renovations on the square, strengthening the safety netting around the ground to cope with recent gale force winds, and hedge planting at the ground with support from other members of the community and the swimming pool (see feature below).
  • The committee is going electronic! We are centralising all our document storage – key documents in one place, easier to collaborate on key documents, can ensure all our policies are updated and visible to the public.
  • We have started contacting local businesses to sponsor our activities at the club. Membership income alone is not enough to pay for all our facilities and new plans and we rely heavily on your support. Please read on to see how you can help.
  • We are getting ready to welcome our 3 overseas players: Monica Gair, Musa Twala and Braydon Pink. We are grateful to the Lockett, Causey and England families who have agreed to host our guests during their time with us.


Our ground crew work tirelessly all year round – taking just a week off at Christmas! In the last couple of weeks, they have been working with the Devon Wildlife Trust (who funded the project with a grant) to plant hedging along the swimming pool wall and along the edge of the playpark. The DWT’s goal is to create wildlife corridors. The working party consisted of around 20 different people over two days and it was a brilliant combination of Cricket Club and Swimming Pool volunteers working together for the benefit of the community. They started on a Saturday morning lifting the turfs and then reconvened last Wednesday to plant the hedging, ably guided and supported by two experts from @devonwildlifetrust. Jackie kept everyone going with tea, coffee, cakes and bacon sandwiches – which were all gratefully received as it was very chilly on both days! I would like to thank everyone who helped – it was a superb example of team work involving the community and joint working between two different recreation clubs. Here are just a few photos (including the tea break!).


My goal for 2024 is to encourage more people to volunteer and ensure they are properly trained and appreciated for their contributions. We are all working together to provide the best cricket offering we can to our 5 senior teams and 10 junior teams. We also want to make the club a place where everyone feels welcome to come and socialise. If you would like to get involved, here are some of the ways you can help:

  • Most urgently, we need an “all-hands-on-deck” working party at the ground for the next two Saturdays from 9am – on the first (Saturday 20th Jan) to help bolt together Euro-Mats to lay a safe path for heavy machinery to access the nets to start work on their refurbishment and on the second (Saturday 27th Jan) to pack them away again. If we get plenty of people it won’t take more than a couple of hours. Without these mats our outfield will be trashed, so please come and help us protect the ground. Please reply to this emailif you can help – so that we know how many cakes to make!
  • Come along any Wednesday morning to help with ground crew activities, convening at 9.30 with a tea break at 11. All welcome. Contact Tony England (07702 775549) for more details.
  • Contact Andy Bishop (07986 997006) if you can spare some time for a painting at the pavilion. Our kitchen in particular would love a new coat of paint.
  • WhatsApp George Pitman (07443 659169) for a place on Pathway Coaching to help coach Junior teams. It will be a full morning on Saturday 13th April.
  • Reply to this email to express your interest in: Scoring or Umpiring for any team (adult or junior team) or are happy to be a Bar Volunteer (we would like to open the bar whenever there is a match on)
  • We are looking for an operational media volunteer(s) – a new vacancy left by the amazing Ash Causey who did it so ably last year – it involves updating our website and social media on a weekly basis. Please contact Ash Roots if you can help.
  • Please get in touch with Arren de Young if your business would like to become a club sponsor. We are currently looking for sponsors for new covers at the ground, for example, so we can order them in time for the new season – a high profile placement in the centre of the ground (lasting a minimum of 5 years). Arren has a number of sponsorship packages to suit any budget that he can run through with you. We have ambitious plans for cricket development this year and sponsorship is the lifeblood that can make them possible.
  • Please contactJerry Christophers if you would like to help with any of our social events or have ideas to add to our social calendar.
  • Sign up to our 200 Club. Hannah Bradley is going to be sending an email out in the next few weeks that will explain how. Here are the winners for the last 5 months. With more members/ numbers entered the prize pot increases. Let’s do this!
August September October November December
1st – £40 Jen Shelton Mark Lockett Bob Flack Adrian Hammett Fiona Topping
2nd – £10 Tony England John Courtier Adrian Hammett Nigel Morgan Dave Woods
3rd – £5 Derek Perry Nigel Mountford Nigel Morgan Geoff Coish John Whitlock


As you can see the committee has been off to a flying start this year – working hard to get everything ready for the start of the season. I had planned to introduce the new committee here, but as this email was already a wee bit long, we will include a “Committee Special” in an email after our next meeting (21st February) instead – including some lovely pictures so that you can put everyone’s names to faces. If I do it now, you’ll have forgotten what they look like by the time the season starts anyway!

Many thanks for reading our update and best wishes for the chilly weeks ahead. Stay warm!

Tina England

Chair, Bovey Tracey Cricket Club

*Photograph courtesy of Mark Lockett photography